Thursday, July 8, 2010

Comma On Over




To continue with punctuation issues, I thought I might tackle comma usage.  However, that is quite a large subject, so let’s just look at commas in direct address.  That means, when one person is talking to another and calls that person by name (or nickname or whatever).  In order to differentiate the person (or animal) from the rest of the sentence, you should separate the name with a comma.  That’s all there is to it.

Here are some examples:

Mom, may I have a piece of pie?

Hey, you, what are you doing in my trashcans?

You know, Bob, you’re the third person today to offer me a slice of fruitcake.

I want to go to the store, Mary.

Yes, sweetie, you may leave the table.

Happy birthday, Phillip!

Of course, this may not seem like a very important element in your writing.  Surely the person being spoken to knows he or she is separate from the rest of the phrase?  Remember, though, that commas indicate when the reader should pause, and that can change the meaning of the sentence.

Consider the following distinction:

It’s time to eat Rover.

It’s time to eat, Rover.

In the first one, you have decided to eat the dog.  In the second, you are simply calling the dog to his dinner, a subtle but important difference, especially to the dog!

Now, if I have convinced you of the need for commas in direct address, let me describe the pattern.  Whether the name comes at the beginning, middle, or end of the sentence, it is set apart from the rest by commas, either before, after, or on both sides, as in my examples above.  Got it?

(Thanks to one of my teacher colleagues for the Rover example.  On Facebook I have seen “grandma” used in the same demonstration with the tagline, "Punctuation Saves Lives!")


No comments:

Post a Comment